Friday 22 August 2014

Dwarfs Disappear and Ghost Cops go down a storm...

Two days ago I was awake before noon. This is not a normal circumstance for me, my day job is more of a night job and then there's watching entire TV series on Netflix when I get home afterwards. Mornings are something I only normally see from the wrong side. This is the perfect sleep cycle to experience a festival that wakes at around noon and goes until 5am.

Sometimes, however, a famous dwarf insists that you get up in the morning. As I was supposed to be at 10am the next day to terrify a famous dwarf I got up relatively early to try and set my body clock to something which approximates that of an actual human being. As soon as I got into town I learnt that the famous dwarf had cancelled. This happens. Never work with famous people, no matter their height.

I had another reason for being in town at such a godly hour, though. I wanted to see my friend and colleague (a man who is so tall he is the opposite of a dwarf, not a giant as he has not the girth of stomach for that, but a man of great height) in a show called Ghost Cop in the Free Festival at the Three Sisters (which calls itself the 'Free Sisters' - not the sharpest of name changes perhaps but its a lot bloody better than 'Unboring').

Ghost Cop was hilarious, a pastiche of 80s cop movies with a cavalcade of sexual innuendo. Perhaps most impressive was the sound use, for an amateur show the sound effects were very... well... effective. There is no better word and if there's anything effects are supposed to be it must be effective. I would very much recommend seeing it, if you can drag yourself out of bed by noon in the last weekend of the Festival.

Ghost Cop is the perfect example of what the Fringe can do. Although it was made by an Edinburgh troupe the Fringe gives people the impetus to create and to be on stage. Some are eaten alive, some are remarkably successful, some launch careers and some just empty bank balances... oftentimes both but as we reach the tail end we can be sure that people have been made and broken as they are every year.

No comments:

Post a Comment